Sunday 29 January 2012

What It Is to be Brave?

I often have people tell me that I’m so brave, this is because on more than one occasion I have taken a chance and had an adventure or two. But the truth is that most of the time I’m shaking in ma boots with the things I do.

I’m not a dare devil or a thrill seeker, no way at all. I’m the girl who holds the bags at the fairground, I’m the girl that spontaneously did a Dash and Dine only to run home and close the blinds to hide from the police! Yep that’s me alright, but bravery is something that I’d never even thought of relating to oneself and even still, I’m not quite sure I do?

Recently I have decided to embark on an adventure that in eight months’ time could leave me feeling like this adventure was by far the greatest and most inspiring of all adventures of my twenty-four years of life, or I could simply be left feeling as though I’ve set myself way further back than I’d intended.

While some people have the fear of travelling alone and essentially being alone, my fear is about regret.

There is a saying that goes, ‘Never regret what you do, only regret what you don’t do’.

I often get caught in those talks with my Dad, Aunt, Uncles and their friends that usually start with “When I was your age I wish I’d done this…” or “When I was your age I had the opportunity go here” and the next part of those sentences usually go something like this, “but I didn’t and it’s one of my biggest regrets”. And I don’t for one moment second guess their regret.

I know that it’s not everything in life that you can do or you must do, but to get the most out of life sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith and hope for the best and at least if it doesn’t work out, you can say at least you tried, or that there was something in life that you wanted and you made it happen, never mind whether it worked out or not, you took a chance and you did it.

My biggest fear is that one day I look back at my life and have those thoughts, that I had the most amazing opportunities to fulfil my dreams, to find new dreams and to make amazing memories in magical places with magnificent people, but I didn’t, and for no real life threatening reason other than … I just didn’t.

So I guess when I put it like that my family and friends are right, I am brave.


Love Sara (A Brave little lady!)xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment